8 February 2018
• Signed to build 8 containerships for 820 billion KRW for an Asian owner
- Neo-panamax containerships for Asia-North America route
- growth in seaborne trade and environmental regulations hint more orders to come
• Order total for 2018 reaches 1 trillion KRW, cruising to the yearly order target
- Eager to meet market demand with outstanding performance in LNG, offshore EPC
Samsung Heavy Industries Co. Ltd.("SHI") swept 1 trillion KRW worth orders, cruising to the yearly order target of 8.2 billion USD.
SHI revealed on February 8th 2018 that it received an order from an Asian owner to build eight 12,000TEU containerships for around 820 billion KRW.
The neo-panamax vessels are 334m in length and 48.4m in breadth, to be delievered by May 2021.
SHI believes the growth in seaborne trade and environmental regulations would lead to more commercial vessel newbuilding orders.
SHI's order total for 2018 reached 1 trillion KRW as of now, including another recent order for a LNGC at around 210 billion KRW, well on the way to the yearly order target.
SHI has outstanding track record in LNG carriers, containerships, as well as offshore facilities where SHI dominates the market since 2015. SHI will differentiate from competitors with classs leading risk management and market leadership in North Sea, West Africa, and Australia where new projects are underway.
Photo: Samsung Heavy Industries Co. Ltd. Pangyo R&D Center
Samsung Heavy Industries, press release