San Pedro, Calif. - August 25, 2017
The Port of Los Angeles has announced increased security measures at the West Basin Container Terminal, the site of a security breach last week. In addition, the Port is conducting a thorough review of security at all of its terminals.
“Last week’s incident involving a subject in a stolen car illegally entering one of our terminals is something that we will learn from and we have taken immediate interim steps to correct,” said Port of Los Angeles Executive Director Gene Seroka. “There is nothing more important than the safety of our workers and the security of our port complex.”
As interim steps, stringent modifications to access points are now in place at the West Basin Container Terminal, along with additional security personnel and road barriers, among other measures. Long term solutions are being evaluated by the Port and other agencies.
“I commend the Port of Los Angeles for quickly addressing the vulnerability revealed by last week’s police chase suspect,” said Los Angeles Councilman Joe Buscaino. ”As our region’s biggest economic engine, it is critical to ensure the security of goods movement and the safety of the hard-working people who make our Port the efficient machine that it is.”
The Port of Los Angeles is America’s premier port and has a strong commitment to developing innovatively strategic and sustainable operations that benefit Southern California’s economy and quality of life. North America’s leading seaport by container volume and cargo value, the Port of Los Angeles facilitated $272 billion in trade during 2016. San Pedro Bay port complex operations and commerce facilitate one in nine jobs in the five-county Southern California region.
Port of Los Angeles, press release
Image by Port of Los Angeles