Athens, Greece - November 16, 2020
Performance Shipping Inc. (NASDAQ: PSHG) (the “Company”), a global shipping company specializing in the ownership of tanker vessels, today reported net income and net income attributable to common stockholders of $0.4 million for the third quarter of 2020, compared to a net loss and net loss attributable to common stockholders of $18.1 million for the same period in 2019. Earnings per common share, basic and diluted, for the third quarter of 2020 were $0.08, while loss per share for the third quarter of 2019 was $5.58.
Voyage and time charter revenues were $9.5 million ($6.7 million net of voyage expenses) for the third quarter of 2020, compared to $6.3 million ($5.5 million net of voyage expenses) for the same period in 2019. This increase was mainly attributable to the increased time-charter equivalent rates (TCE rates) contributed by the Company’s Aframax tankers. Fleetwide, the average time charter equivalent rate for the third quarter of 2020 was $15,990, compared with an average rate of $12,915 for the same period of 2019. As a result, during the third quarter of 2020, net cash provided by operating activities was $2.3 million, compared with net cash used in operating activities of $3.2 million for the third quarter of 2019.
Net income for the nine months ended September 30, 2020, amounted to $6.3 million, compared to a net loss of $19.8 million for the nine months ended September 30, 2019. Net income attributable to common stockholders for the nine months ended September 30, 2020, amounted to $7.8 million, due to a one-time gain of $1.5 million derived from the repurchase of the Series C preferred shares, and resulted in earnings per common share, basic and diluted, of $1.62 and $1.59, respectively. Net loss attributable to common stockholders for the nine months ended September 30, 2019, was $19.8 million, resulting in a loss per share, basic and diluted, of $7.83.
Third Quarter 2020 and Subsequent Developments:
• Delivery of the last containership M/V Domingo to her new owners in August 2020;
• Appointment of Andreas Michalopoulos as Chief Executive Officer and Anthony Argyropoulos as Chief Financial Officer in October 2020;
• Initiation of new variable quarterly dividend policy and declaration of $0.01 dividend per share to all shareholders in October 2020;
• Introduction of new business strategy and posting of the relevant presentation on the Company’s website in October 2020;
• Effectiveness of one-for-ten reverse stock split to comply with NASDAQ’s minimum price rule in November 2020;
• Acceptance of signed Offer Letter of up to $31.5 million from Piraeus Bank S.A. in November 2020, for the partial refinancing of the existing Nordea loan and additional financing for a fifth Aframax Tanker;
• Acquisition of 2011-built Aframax Tanker for $22.0 million in November 2020.
As of November 15, 2020, the Company had 5,015,501 shares of common stock issued and outstanding.
Commenting on the results of the third quarter of 2020, Mr. Andreas Michalopoulos, the Company’s Chief Executive Officer, stated:
“During the third quarter of 2020, despite the prevailing deterioration in tanker charter rates, we continued to operate profitably with all four Aframax tankers in aggregate contributing to our operations with the support of our medium term time charter contract for the M/T Blue Moon at $28,000 per day. Midway through the current quarter, the tanker charter market is very low on the back of lower demand due to COVID-19 and low OPEC output. We have a new management team in place, a new business strategy, and initiated a variable quarterly dividend policy coupled with our specific low leverage target. We also secured an additional term loan to refinance part of our existing debt to reduce our quarterly installments and acquired our fifth Aframax tanker, resulting in a significant reduction in our daily cash break- even rate. We believe the low orderbook in conjunction with the gradual resurfacing of oil demand following a return to normality post COVID-19 will result in higher tanker charter rates in the future.”.
Performance Shipping Inc. press release