IAME, the International Association of Maritime Economist, has elected Professor Thanos Pallis as its new President. The announcement is made following the conclusion of the election during the IAME 2018 Annual Conference held in Mombasa, Kenya, last week.
Established in 1992, IAME is the Association representing scholars interested in maritime economics, as well as maritime economist, from all over the world. The Association today has a membership spaning in all continents and is officially linked to two leading academic journals in the field: Maritime Policy & Management and Maritime Economics & Logistics. It has celebrated the IAME Conference, its annual flagship event, in all five continents, with IAME 2019 scheduled to take place in Athens, Greece.
Thanos Pallis is Professor of Port Economics and Policy at the Department of Shipping, Trade and Transport, University of the Aegean, Greece, and co-director of PortEconomics. A Fulbright scholar at Columbia University, NY, he has worked in port and maritime related projects in different continents, while he has been secretary general of the association of Meditteranean cruise ports, MedCruise.
IAME also elected its new Council for 2018-2020, with Professor Michaël Dooms (University of Brussels, Belgium) and Professor Jasmine Siu Lee Lam (Nanyang Technology University, Singapore), elected as IAME Vice-Presidents, and the full synthesis of the Council being as follows:
• Michaël Dooms (University of Brussels, Belgium), Vice-President
• Jasmine Siu Lee Lam (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore), Vice-President
• Michele Acciaro (Kuhne Logistics University, Germany)
• Roar Adland (Norwegian School of Economics, Norway)
• Okan Duru (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
• Manolis Kavussanos (Athens University of Economics & Business, Greece)
• Adolf Ng (University of Manitoba, Canada)
• Theo Notteboom (Shanghai Maritime University, China)
• Giovanni Satta (University of Genoa, Italy)
• Gordon Wilmsmeier (Universidad de los Andes, Colombia)
• Jan Hoffman (UNCTAD), President Emeritus.
Thanos Pallis replaces Dr. Jan Hoffman (UNCTAD), who has served as President since 2014, and will continue to serve the IAME Council as President Emeritus. Commenting on Jan Hoffman leadership Thanos Pallis said, “On behalf of all IAME members I would like to express our sincere thanks and appreciation to Jan, as well as to previous presidents, for their work, inspiration, and commitment to make IAME more dynamic than ever.”
For further details on IAME see: www.mar-economists.org
International Association of Maritime Economists - IAME, press release