New York - March 13, 2017
Gener8 Maritime, Inc. (NYSE: GNRT) ("Gener8 Maritime" or the "Company"), a leading U.S.-based provider of international seaborne crude oil transportation services, today announced its financial results for the three and twelve months ended December 31, 2016.
• Recorded net income of $5.8 million, or $0.07 basic and diluted earnings per share, for the three months ended December 31, 2016, compared to $45.5 million or $0.55 basic and diluted earnings per share for the same period in the prior year. Recorded adjusted net income of $20.1 million, or $0.24 basic and diluted adjusted earnings per share, for the three months ended December 31, 2016, compared to $47.7 million or $0.58 basic and diluted earnings per share for the same period in the prior year.
• Increased vessel operating days by 52.0% to 3,533 in the three months ended December 31, 2016 compared to 2,319 in the same period in the prior year. Increased "ECO" VLCC operating days to 77% of VLCC operating days in the three months ended December 31, 2016, compared to 29% in the same period in the prior year.
• Increased full fleet "ECO" operating days to 43% in the three months ended December 31, 2016, compared to 9% in the same period in the prior year.
• Took delivery of five "ECO" newbuilding VLCCs since the end of the third quarter of 2016. The Gener8 Miltiades, the Gener8 Noble and the Gener8 Theseus were delivered during the fourth quarter of 2016, and the Gener8 Hector and the Gener8 Ethos were delivered subsequent to the end of the quarter.
• Sold the 2000-built Suezmax tanker Gener8 Spyridon in December 2016 for net proceeds of $1.8 million after prepaying $11.7 million of associated debt.
• Sold the 2003-built VLCC tanker Gener8 Ulysses in February 2017 for net proceeds of $10.2 million after prepaying $20.0 million of associated debt.
"As we continue to receive vessels from our newbuilding program, it becomes increasingly apparent that a two-tier market exists favoring modern, "ECO" vessels. For the second consecutive quarter, our "ECO" VLCCs earned between 10% and 15% more on an average daily TCE basis than our non-"ECO" VLCCs," said Peter Georgiopoulos, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Gener8 Maritime. "We continued to increase the modernity of our fleet with the delivery of three "ECO" VLCCs in the fourth quarter and two "ECO" VLCCs to date in the first quarter of 2017 and the sale of two older vessels during the same periods. Following the completion of our newbuilding program expected this year and assuming no further changes to our fleet, the DWT-weighted average age of our fleet will be 4.9 years, and our VLCCs will have an average age of just 2.7 years, giving us the youngest and most modern VLCC fleet among our public company peers. Marine fuel prices have been steadily increasing over the last year, highlighting the fuel efficiency of our "ECO" design vessels, which have quickly become a significant driver of the favorable TCE rates we have been able to achieve in a relatively weak rate environment. We believe this advantage will become more pronounced over time."
Leo Vrondissis, Chief Financial Officer, added, "Following the delivery of the Gener8 Ethos on March 9, 2017, 20 of the 21 "ECO" VLCCs from our newbuilding program have been delivered. Based on recent valuations, the remaining payment due on the final newbuilding VLCC is expected to be fully covered through available borrowings. Additionally, in conjunction with the sales of the Gener8 Spyridon and Gener8 Ulysses we have prepaid $31.7 million of debt, which will have a positive effect on our average vessel breakeven rates going forward."
Gener8 Maritime - Press Release